Tuesday 24 March 2015

Birding on Koh Phra Thong Part 1

As I was leaving the Kurabi Greenview Resort the staff there told me that Koh Phra Thong has plenty of birds, my hopes were up !
Indeed, the very first afternoon, as soon as we had settled in to our new home, I was off for a walk with my camera. Walking through the wooded area of a form of pine tree I realised birding would be very difficult, well photography would anyway. I headed down to the open space and light on the beach and found a couple of Kentish Plovers, one in delightful breeding plumage.
Kentish Plover
An Oriental Pied Hornbill flew across the beach heading to one of two tiny islets a few hundred yards off the shore, two of the highest points on the almost completely flat island
Oriental Pied Hornbill
Buoyed by this success I was up early the following morning and out and about to see what I could find. The owner of the next door property saw me and shouted "Papagayo" or something sounding similar and pointed towards his property. I took it as an invitation to explore and sure enough found some good birds high in the trees in the middle of his "settlement" of huts.
A Pink-breasted Parakeet
2015-02-22 at 01-46-41
and in the adjoining tree a Common Flameback
Common Flameback
Further along and on the edge of dense woodland I found hundreds of Swifts flying around the trees, I am not 100% certain but I think these are Germain's Swiftlets.
Germain's Swiftlet
Everything was very distant though, high up in the trees or the sky above.
Looking at a pair of Chestnut-headed Bee-eater through my 1000mm of camera lens I suddenly noticed a small well camouflaged bird, a Vernal Hanging Parrot.
Vernal Hanging Parrot
Not a bad start to the day !
I returned to base and enjoyed a very welcome and delicious breakfast of freshly brewed coffee and Thai Omelette.
What else might I find , time would tell.
TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment