Tuesday 23 October 2018

Corfu 2018 Have wheels will travel!

With the hire car collected I was ready for the off. I decided my first destination would be the highest mountain in Corfu, Mt Pantokrator which is just under 3000ft . Why choose here? Well it was midday and I thought there might be the possibility of raptors once the air had warmed up. Armed with a rather poor map I had been supplied with and my own Sat Nav which hasn't been updated in 7 years off I went. The sat nav correctly told me to turn right in the nearest town Acharavi but the street was so narrow I had passed it before I saw it. No matter just 20 yards further on there was another dog leg right turn so I guessed correctly that that would join the one I missed. Approaching from such and acute angled turn meant I missed the poorly placed sign that this was a one way street! My first indiscretion and I'd only been behind the wheel about 5 minutes!! Still, no matter as there was nothing coming the other way and it taught me my first lesson. Road signage in Corfu isn't the best!
Onwards and upwards I went enjoying the scenery but extremely wary of the traffic coming the other way on the narrow sharply bending roads.
Eventually I found a place to park safely not some distance from the summit so I got out to do a bit of a walkabout.
Corfu
With my current back problem I couldn't go too far but I did find a tree lined little field where the bushes were full of Blackcaps.
If Corfu has an abundance of one species it's the Blackcap unless they just happen to be a migratory one passing through but I was to discover them everywhere.
As far as raptors went there was just one Kestrel spotted briefly and that was it.
I drove on to the summit, had a brief look at the view which was quite a distant one too. You could see most of the island which is about 30 miles long I think, and across the straits to Albania in the east.
Corfu and Albania
No more birds though, the shot a pair of Hooded Crows on the descent was ruined by the heat haze. I wasn't too bothered though, seen them already. I decided to seek out Antinioti Lagoon next. It's right in the north east corner and a short drive from were we were staying. I'd read it was another important  birding spot with over 96 rare species seen here. I decided to leave that until later after a quick scan but I did pick up a new species for the year, albeit at distance. A Yellow-legged Gull.
Yellow-Legged Gull
Well it was a bit of progress anyway!
Shooting with a long lens from a parked car overlooking a beach of half naked people isn't without problems so I didn't hang around long in case people started asking questions about my intentions.
I headed back to the apartment for a pre dinner beer by the pool but with the intention of returning to this or a similar spot later in the week. I had another 6 days after all so no rush.
Roda,Corfu
By now I had been marked out as a bird watcher by the owners of the apartments and they told me that there were definitely Flamingos to be seen at Lake Korission in the south of the island. I decided to make that the next days priority in case they flew away!
Off at dawn I took the westerly route south enjoying some magnificent scenery but some rather hairy roads.
Corfu
Driving certainly isn't for the feint hearted tourist as the locals seem to travel at high speed in to blind bends. The journey I thought would take 90 minutes took two and a half hours. My map might as well have been a sketch on the back of a postage stamp for all it was worth and the sat nav which I rarely use simply confused me half the time telling me to take a turn which wasn't there. 
Finding myself lost in a village square I decided I would at least take some photos of the Wagtails because the way things were going it might well be all I'd see that day!
Wagtail
Fortunately it wasn't the case and eventually, with the help of the locals giving directions on a couple of occasions I eventually got to my destination and yes...the Flamingos were still there too!
Greater Flamingo
I drove down an unmade track as far as I felt it safe to take the car then got out to try and stalk the birds without then seeing me. Unfortunately they were nearest the shore at a point that was impossible to view from so after scouting around settled for a spot that was at least hidden by some reeds. I had ignored some Little Egrets that had been close to the shore when I drove past and I wondered why they had all now taken flight.
Little Egret
Damn! There were two walkers heading my way and before you knew it the Flamingos all started walking out in to the middle of the lake.
There was another group over on the far side so I decided to try my luck there instead. The angle of the sun looked better from there too so, back in the car, off I went.
For a while quite a few of the birds from the original group flew over to join this new group so I had a bit of fun with some flight shots.
Greater Flamingo
They almost walk on water when they land or take off.
Greater Flamingo
My only problem was that they were still a bit distant and as the time was now moving on the heat haze effect was getting worse.
Greater Flamingo
I stuck with it a while but as the morning wore on the arrival of more and more cars was driving the birds further away too.
Greater Flamingo
Moving on again I thought I would seek out the rest of the lake's shores where I might get access. It was very limited to be honest and all I managed to spot was a couple of Greenshank and a single Ringed Plover. Not the feast of goodies I'd hoped for.
The lake is separated from the sea by a narrow strip of sand dunes so I decided to see what might be on the beach.
Lake Korisson,Corfu
Once again a place you have to be careful that your motives are not seen as being something you don't intend! That shot wasn't with a big lens!
So, despite having taken such a time to get to the Lake I only stayed an hour or so and bade farewell to the place.
Lake Korisson,Corfu
I wouldn't bother returning there, it was too far. I headed instead to the east side of the island and the final recommendation, a lake that runs alongside the runway of the airport. I had noticed it when we landed and it did indeed appear to have quite a few birds there.
Off I went, some more hairy moments, the worst being meeting a coach in a narrow street where I had to reverse. I hate reversing when I look over the alien right shoulder when driving a left hand drive. Safely negotiated but not without the loss of much sweat I carried on.
The traffic in Corfu Town was horrendous. I found my way to the airport but decided to not bother trying to find access to the lake. I went home instead. An OK day but not what I'd hoped for.
TBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment