Friday 5 April 2019

The Gambia 2019 Part 5 Staying local!

So, my mind was made up, well almost, not to bother taking any more trips, I'd concentrate on what was about locally and that of course changes not only from year to year and time of year but from day to day. Birds are territorial so the more you are familiar with an area the more chance of seeing what lives there and no matter where you visit, never judge it on first appearances.
For me a typical day started around 7.15 to 7.30am. That's first light really, well, when the light is acceptable for photography anyway. 
Kotu dawn
As I am not fond of getting up earlier than needed it suited me fine.The Bakotu Hotel backs on to the mudflats of the creek and the golf course and a handy back gate takes you there.
At 7.30 am it's hardly likely that there is anyone playing golf so no need to worry about stray balls either, a bit different on the way back.
Head up to the nearest green, they are actually black and made of compacted sand, and at this time of day you might be surprised at what you see.
Not an eagle but a birdie shot! This Yellow-billed Kite had a plan!
Yellow-billed Kite
I think it took a fancy to the flag for nesting material.
Yellow-billed Kite
but the best efforts to tear it off the pole failed.
Yellow-billed Kite
It attempted to fly off with the whole thing but despite getting it off the ground failed to get airborne. I was really annoyed I'd put the camera down!
Carry on across the golf course and you drop on to a bridge that takes you across the creek, and on to one of the golf tees.
Kotu Creek
It's one of the places you can use to avoid going in to the mud in an attempt to get a shot of something, in this case a couple of guys fishing.
Kotu Creek
The local bird guide association claim that the creek is much better as a result of the fact they now control it and have stopped fishing. Not so, these guys get up early, and who can blame them. Earning a crust isn't easy and they were catching fish by the big bucket load and enough to feed lots of hungry mouths too. What amazed me is they enter the water fully clothed , trainers as well. Must be awful walking home like that.
Anyway, looking back you can now see the golf course.
Kotu Creek
but carry on, a swift right turn and you find your way towards the sewerage ponds, the rice paddies and everything else that signed as the "Nature Trail" if you enter from Kotu Bridge.
Much depended on what I saw and where as to how far I went.
On the very first morning I was delighted to stumble across a Double-spurred Francolin wandering across the path right in front of me. I fired off some shots and was delighted as I have struggled to get a decent view and image in the past however, in the course of the week I got even better ones as the light was better!
Double-spurred Francolin   Pternistis bicalcaratus
They included the standard view...one that's running away!
Double-spurred Francolin  Pternistis bicalcaratus
Shows off the spurs well when in retreat!
Every day was different though, some days better than others.
Typically though an early walk was followed by a later breakfast with Claire at around 9.30 when the usual earlier rush had died down. It was then a decision as whether to go back out, check out what I'd taken on the laptop or a combination of both.
TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment