Friday 26 July 2019

Isle of May,Scotland. June 2019 Part 3.

So, with the Arctic Terns as number one priority, what would be number two?
I'd sworn it wouldn't be Puffins! In fact leading expert Mike Harris who happened to be in residency during my visit exclaimed "not after more Puffin photos are you?!" when we bumped in to each other. He's a right one to comment as he's spent a lifetime dedicated to the species!
Anyway, within minutes of arriving I'd taken my first photograph of a Puffin with Sand Eels in it's bill and over the week I was to take a lot more too!
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
I think as a UK wildlife photographer it's probably top of most peoples list of images they want to take. I have many such images now but still can't resist a few more if I happen to be in the right place at the right time. I wasn't too bothered about flight shots, well not like the ones I have taken in the past, but the combination of Puffin and water appealed greatly and was something still to experiment with.
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
The only accessible spot would prove problematic though as it was either backlit by the sun or in deep shade. Still, the light does interesting things with the feet!
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
The Puffin is a gold medal swimmer but when it comes to flying, especially landing, they are far from being the best.
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
That might look promising but....
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
elegant it isn't!
However, most of the time they are simply adorable to photograph
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
A bit of sea mist gave a softer image even if they were just metres away.
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
Change the water colour for something a bit different
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
Enough's enough!
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
Watching them clamber out of the water was fun as they had a game of "King of the Castle" trying to keep the one space on a newly revealed ledge as the tide went out.
Mark decided this was the best shot taken all week but I have to disagree. 
Isle of May Puffins
It could have been but I should have used a smaller aperture to get a better depth of field. There are lots of elements that make it interesting but technically it's not as good as it should have been. Besides, Mark had taken an image I could only dream of, and he has given me permission to show it to you but that will be later!
Meanwhile he and I compared photographs and ideas , each feeding from the other although I ate better than he did !
Getting shots of birds in the rain was something we both had decided would be a bit different. The only problem was lack of rainfall! Well, except for just a short downpour one morning.
From our bedroom window I took a couple of shots.
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
before deciding to get out there myself.
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
Initially I chose the position for the background not realising a foot was obscured, and besides the lighter background doesn't pick up the rain as well.
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
By the time I was where I wanted to be the rain had eased off! Ah well, one for next time.
Mark had shown me some shots of a Puffin with it's bill illuminated by the setting sun. I tried to copy the idea.
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
Just as I did when I saw his take on group photos.
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
I failed to get anything like the ones he had taken, it takes a lot more skill and luck to get them. Much depends on how the group is standing, anyway, again something to work on in the future, meantime I decided to try with smaller numbers of birds and see what I could achieve.
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
Again, something for the future too.
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
But that's enough of Puffins.
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
Well maybe just one last one?!
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica
A bit of Puffin interaction. More likely to be seen during the courtship period...now there's a thought. I must try a different time of year, who needs Sand Eels anyway.
Atlantic Puffin  Fratercula arctica

TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment