Friday 26 July 2019

Isle of May,Scotland. June 2019 Part 4.

As previously mentioned Mark and I fed off each others ideas. Each evening we'd review our days efforts whilst having a beer and it was great fun laughing at the failures, encouraging the nearly ones and admiring those that were worthy. I had arranged with Mark that he could use my laptop to transfer his images on to a portable hard drive he'd brought but it wasn't compatible with my Apple machine, hence we began looking at our shots together. Without a doubt this increased my enjoyment of the week tremendously, it was going to be  a learning curve to add to the usual challenge. We were competitive in the most friendly of ways but from Day One I knew I was on a hiding to nothing for "Photo of the Week". Yes you have to have luck to be in the right place at the right time, but you need to be ready to take advantage when it happens and that takes skill.
To my mind this shot of Mark's ,which he kindly allowed me to share, is awesome. Now awesome is a totally overused description of many average photographs, but in this case I don't think so.
Kittewake by Mark Medcalf
The bad news for me was it couldn't be beaten in my opinion, the bad news for Mark was it was taken on the very first day ! Still, no harm in setting the bar high right from the off.
Kittiwakes had been on my wish list as second favourite subject after the Terns as I'd spent little time with them in the past. I have witnessed aerial disputes many times but never managed anything remotely as good as Mark's shot. I mean he has the feather in the bill of the chasing bird. Perfection!
Well, with a week to get something similar the challenge was on but in truth I never came anywhere near but I did get a couple of shots I was happy with. 
Black-legged Kittiwake  Rissa tridactyla
Straightforward flight shots but the evening light was nice.
Black-legged Kittiwake  Rissa tridactyla
I found a spot where the birds were flying directly towards me as they returned to their nests.
Kittiwake
but it didn't produce anything of any great excitement. 
Black-legged Kittiwake  Rissa tridactyla

maybe a few verbal exchanges but that was about it.
Black-legged Kittiwake  Rissa tridactyla
It did provide me with an interesting shot though.
Black-legged Kittiwake   Rissa tridactyla
This bird is wearing a tiny GPS transmitter.
Black-legged Kittiwake   Rissa tridactyla
The information is only picked up when they return to the island as the signal is fairly weak.
GPS receiver
but the researchers can follow were the birds have been on a regular basis. I guess there are only a handful of birds amongst the 250,000 wearing these devices so I was lucky to find one that did.
But as far as outstanding shots went, well it wasn't to be, well not for me anyway.
TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment