Saturday 27 July 2019

Isle of May,Scotland. June 2019 Part 6.

So what is left to share about the islands population? There are a few birds that are totally independent from the sea but not many. Pied Wagtail, Feral Pigeon, even a few Barn Swallows breed on the island but my favourite is the Rock Pipit.
Eurasian Rock Pipit   Anthus petrosus
I spent little time photographing them though, in fact just I only took a couple of shots of the latter and that was that.
Also indépendant of the water is one of the most important inhabitants!
Rabbit!
Yes, the humble rabbit was an introduced species as a food source for the resident monks way back in the 14th century.The monks are long gone but the rabbits do what rabbits do and have thrived. They play an extremely important role in providing the burrows the Puffins nest in and do a decent job keeping the grass presentable too! The island is also host to a unique species of house mouse too but seeing them isn't easy, in fact I have only ever caught a glimpse of one once in all the times I have visited. Like most things on the island they are being monitored and researched though!
The other mammal species are totally dependant on the sea. The Isle of May has Scotland's biggest breeding population of Grey Seals and during the winter breeding months the population is estimated at around 3000. There are far fewer during the summer months and getting a photo isn't always easy either.
Grey Seal
OK, I'll pose if you go away and leave me in peace!
Grey Seal
I suppose I should also mention homo sapiens too. The Low Light usually has six occupants staying, the research centre numbers tend to vary depending on the work being undertaken but it never exceeds more than 20 I wouldn't think, usually far fewer. Maybe a dozen. I have never actually asked the question. Day trippers either arrive on the May Princess, a pleasure boat with a capacity of 100 I believe, there are two rib boats which make daily landings too. That's another 24. The day visitors get about 2.5 hours ashore and sailings are tide dependant too. The boats are often full so pre booking is advisable, oh and there are no day tourist boats on Fridays.
Anyway, back to why they come!!
Without a doubt it's for the Puffins.  We in the UK are lucky to have large populations but most are on islands so getting there does involve a boat trip.
By mid summer most of the Eider Ducks of which there were about 1183 breeding pairs have all gone. This year there were fewer left than usual. I only saw a handful and they were only the less attractive females and their offspring.
Eider Duck
The males are one of the most handsome ducks I have ever seen, I'd love another  crack at photographing them one day but they are very challenging as they have such contrasting colours, brilliant white downy breast feathers being the most difficult part! The female by comparison is a doddle!
Common Eider  Somateria mollissima
There aren't too many Oystercatchers on the island, maybe 20 breeding pairs.
They were not a breed I particularly targeted either but when sat on the harbour rocks I had an opportunity I had to take.
Eurasian oystercatcher  Haematopus ostralegus
This one worked it's way down to the rocks just in front of me.
Eurasian oystercatcher  Haematopus ostralegus
They don't eat Oysters they make do with other shellfish but I have also noticed that land snails play a big part in their diet too.
Eurasian oystercatcher  Haematopus ostralegus
One bird that's regularly seen but never lands on the island is one of my favourite species.
Northern Gannet  Morus bassanus
Gannets fly past in huge numbers, all heading to Bass Rock where a huge breeding colony exists.
Sometimes they fly very close to the Isle of May but I never see them flying over the island and only very occasionally do I see them landing in the sea after an attempted dive for fish.
Northern Gannet  Morus bassanus
They are a big bird and fly many, many miles in their search for food.
Northern Gannet  Morus bassanus
Another bird I'd like to get close to! Bempton Cliffs is the place if you want an inexpensive trip because the cost of visiting Bass Rock is quite substantial although must be very memorable too.
TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment