Monday 4 November 2019

South Africa Kruger NP Sept/Oct 2019 If at first....

Having been told the White-backed Night Heron had arrived at 5.15 the previous day, I decided I'd get there even earlier. First in the hide, I was soon joined by the lady from Cape Town and one other.
It was still almost total darkness when the two birds flew in, landing on the small bit of beach below us.
To get an image that actually makes it look  lot lighter than it actually was took a wide open lens. I had my 500mm for the extra reach at f4. A shutter speed of 1/80th was as slow as I dared go.
White-backed Night Heron Shimuwini
You can see why in the motion blur of the birds foot.
White-backed Night Heron
Then I'd selected auto-iso. I hadn't a clue how it would turn out but considering it's ISO 25,600 it ain't too bad! A lot of folk would simply not venture in to that territory but what's the alternative? Ok, it's not a prize winning shot but at least I have a record!
I was pleased with the result , it had been worth getting up an extra 15 minutes early.
The sun had only just began to light up the sky and it was a while before it even made an appearance.First Light. Kruger National park
It's a cracking time of day to be up if you make the effort though.
I went off in search of the Leopard again.
Don't ask!!!
I didn't stay out too long, 
I think I was a bit disillusioned by now. 
I felt things were slipping away.
Oh well, the cleaners had already moved in to next door and left the bin bags they had removed from the bins to be collected by the chap who came around in his little truck.
That seemed like a bad idea and it surprised me they had done so because the minute they walked away the bin bags were attacked by a crowd of different creatures. Hornbills,Squirrels,Starlings and to my delight..Dwarf Mongoose.
Dwarf Mongoose
At first I only spotted the one but there were lots more too.
Dwarf Mongoose
We hadn't realised but their burrow was just behind our chalet.
Dwarf Mongoose
That cheered me up although I did remind myself why had the receptionist denied any wildlife was in camp. They must have known they were there.
Anyway, Claire was ready to go shopping in Phalaborwa so off we went. I promised her that I wouldn't take an hour to get to the tar road as had been the case on the first day. I drove straight there by the quickest route. I did however tell her that I had found a really pretty little spot down by the river so I was going to do a quick diversion down this loop road to show her.
There were two cars already parked down there, some 25m apart. As we edged slowly past the first one I said hello to the driver through our open window. I just got a nod back. 
As I approached the second one I spotted the driver gesticulating to stop and pointing at a bush.
WOW! I hadn't seen it, and had he not pointed, I might have driven right past.
Leopard
There he was, a magnificent Leopard, some 20 metres away and well camouflaged hidden behind the bush.
It was a truly magnificent moment after all the frustration in previous searches.
Leopard
The Leopard had been asleep it seemed but now decided to wake up. I hadn't a clue which way it would go and was delighted when he peered around the bush directly at me!
Next minute he was on the move.
Leopard
Not only on the move but coming right past me!
Leopard
Something had caught his eye.
Leopard
It might be 10.30am 
Leopard
but this supposedly nocturnal beast was in the mood to hunt!
Leopard
For a moment he had been so so close.
Leopard
Using bushes for cover he moved in to position.
So did I! I hurriedly turned the car around to favce the other way before the now other cars that had joined the sighting could block me off. I drew alongside the first car we'd passed who had also turned around. 
Leopard
He'd spotted some Impala on the other side of the river and he was hoping they'd cross.
Leopard
We were parked watching for some time. Would the Leopard make a kill?
I was sat on the wrong side of the vehicle now so it was a strain to lean across in to the passenger window to take some shots. Claire was taking a video on her iPad but the car next to us had the engine running and was making a nose as well as letting us inhale the fumes. I asked him if he could turn the engine off but he explained that he couldn't as he wouldn't be able to start it up again.
Oh well. We would just have to stick it out. Not for long as it happened because the Leopard must have decided it was time to call it a day, got up and retreated in to some bushes.
We'd seen enough so left to let someone else have our prime position.
We departed the scene ecstatic but wondering why the first car hadn't told us there was a Leopard up ahead in the first place.
Most odd, but on our way out I was able to thank the guy in the car who had given us the nod.
Shopping completed, we headed back to camp victorious.
Didn't really matter what else would happen that day although believe it or not. I did go and take another look for the local one.
and of course failed to find it!!
TBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment