Sunday 3 November 2019

South Africa Kruger NP Sept/Oct 2019 Shimuwini

It had been a pleasure staying in Olifants but I was really looking forward to Shimuwini Bushveld Camp. If it was as good as Talamati had been I would be more than happy. Olifants had been good for birds, not so many other creatures, a few nuisance Vervet Monkeys, some Dwarf Mongoose and the ever present Squirrels but one thing they did have were  the thousands of bats that inhabit the buildings in camp. Maybe Shimuwini might have something better!
Affect taking a few photos of the Red-winged Starlings pecking at our Braii we were ready for off.
Red-winged Starling
We headed north again on the H8 and H1-5 road to Letaba Rest Camp, one we wouldn't be staying at. Once again we drew a blank seeing nothing of note until we came across a herd of Buffalo wandering across the road.
It was something to look at anyway!
Road block
We were happy to let every last one of them clear the road before continuing on towards Letaba.
We decided to check out the top end of the S46 gravel road but it didn't change our luck much although I did get some decent views of a small flock of Golden-breasted Bunting. 
Golden-breasted Bunting 
Just before we arrived at the day visitor car park at Letaba I spotted something in the undergrowth. 
Not the best of shots but something at least and a new addition for the trip. A Kurrichane Thrush.
Kurrichane Thrush
The day visitor area in Letaba is certainly a bit different. Totally apart from the main camp and much bigger than everywhere else, we had a walk around the tree lined pathways but there was nothing to see there either so we headed in to the camp to find the restaurant. Nicely appointed with a nice outlook too but despite the lack of many customers the service was so slow we got up and walked to the take away coffee bar instead. I have to say the coffee was outstanding, definitely, along with the one we sampled at Orpen Gate, head and shoulders better than everywhere else. I find it strange there is so much inconsistency when all these places are run by the same outfit! Unfortunately the muffin we had decided to have with the coffee failed to inspire. Never mind, we were heading to the shops in Phalaborwa so if needed we could grab a bite there.
I'd been told there was a Hyena den just outside Letaba so we stopped to look. It was obvious where the den was because of the footprints but there was no signs of life, they had probably retreated inside the culvert to get out of the very hot sun. 
A Bateleur landed in a nearby tree
Bateleur
and after snapping that there was once again absolutely no sign of life for virtually the rest of our journey. Just mile after mile of leafless shrubbery on the way to Phalaborwa although the scenery heading further north to Shimuwini was a vast improvement and we started to see game alongside the river that still had water in it.
The gravel road to Shimuwini is restricted to residents only, all 11kms on the direct route as well as having access to the loop road off it too. It too was depressingly empty, it was still hot though.
I was becoming a bit disillusioned when suddenly we arrived in camp and my spirits lifted.
An oasis of stunning beauty .
Shimuwini Bushveld Camp
Just 15 chalets, all overlooking the lake.
Shimuwini Bushveld Camp
Over in the corner a bird hide raised up on stilts but with decent views back down the lake.
The accommodation was without doubt the best we'd had so far, We had two bedrooms each with two single beds, 
Shimuwini Bushveld Camp
a bathroom 
Shimuwini Bushveld Camp
and an outdoor kitchen diner which was well covered.
Yours truly was soon hurriedly performing the most important task.
Shimuwini Bushveld Camp
Get those beers in the cooler a.s.a.p!
I had fallen in love with Shimuwini already, I decided I would be happy just staying local, or at least so I thought! 
On checking in I'd asked what wildlife I might see in camp. Once again the answer had comeback 'None".
Strange then there was a huge pile of Elephant dung on the lawn near to the front of the chalet. I wondered how that might have got there!
As were were unloading the car, two antelope wandered along in front of the fence.
Nyala female
a first too, my first ever Nyala.
Nyala male
If every day brings something special I'm more than happy so that was my spirits lifted again.
I investigated the bird hide looking over the Hippos lounging in what was quite deep water.
Hippos
and despite my intentions not to, I went out in the car to investigate the loop road approaching camp. By now it was getting a bit cooler and from the loop you had decent views over the river bed. There was plenty of game out there, even a small herd of elephant that were heading towards our camp.
Claire had remained in camp but when she saw them coming she popped down to the hide to get the shot.
Shimuwini Bushveld Camp
whilst I came back empty handed.
Was I bothered? Of course not. I was in paradise!
Shimuwini Bushveld CampCan there be anything better than a cold beer and a Braii in a place like this?

Tell me if you know what could possibly be better!!
TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment