Sunday 10 November 2019

South Africa Kruger NP Sept/Oct 2019 Olifants...the return

It's about 180 kilometres from Sirheni to Olifants so we were in no rush, we could get there with ease in 4 hours as most of the journey was on tar road. Instead of driving the S56 I headed straight to Boyela waterhole again. One last chance of something good perhaps?
A Bateleur! Well that was a bit different anyway.
Bateleur
There was also a large flock of Queleas flying around in their normal hyperactive fashion.
I decided I'd video it as my attempts to get a decent still image seemed doomed to failure.
You can double click on the following photo to watch.
Red-billed Quelea at the waterhole.
However, when I do look at the still shot there's another bird species in amongst the flock and I haven't as yet worked out what they are. Any ideas welcomed!
Quelea flock
I turned to Claire and said "Ready to go?" when suddenly an approaching group caught my eye, at first it was just Zebra but there amongst them a single Roan Antelope.
Roan Antelope
They approached with caution and I don't blame them, two days ago there had been a dozen Lions here, and judging by the skeleton of the Buffalo they were regular visitors.
Roan Antelope
They kept on coming forward. I was delighted, I had just two species left that I wanted to see, this had been one of them, the other Sable Antelope.
Roan Antelope
The Roan looked somewhat perplexed by the Bateleur and didn't come any closer until the bird flew away.
Roan Antelope
The Zebra though were extremely skittish. For no reason one panicked and the rest followed suit.
BH2I6737
Having left the water, the Roan didn't return either, leaving just the Zebra to quench their thirst.
Zebra
He waited until they had all finished and when they all left together so we did too.
Our next good sighting didn't come until we were almost at Mopani.
My 4th sighting of Ground Hornbill.
Southern Ground Hornbill
By now though it was really hot, and even though they were close, photography was out.
We carried on to Mopani and had some lunch enjoying the view from the outdoor seating in the restaurant. Way down below, I spotted some large black looking birds, I returned to the car for binoculars. Delighted with what I saw I then went back for my camera too!
Spur-winged Goose
Spur-winged Goose...and the only ones I saw during our trip. Most other diners seemed to bring all their photography gear with them to the table but I think that was more for security than attempting to use it. I must admit, I never once felt that my car was in danger of being broken in to in any of the camp car parks.
Continuing south it was hot dry and dusty. Mini tornados, whipping up dust and leaves were suddenly appearing on a regular basis.
Dust Devil
You wondered how quickly a fire could spread in these conditions and prayed no one would be stupid enough to throw a lit cigarette butt out of their car window.
The only other seen thing of note was a Purple Roller that posed quite nicely and for the first time for me, showed where they get the name from. 
Purple Roller
I always thought that Rufus-crowned was the more appropriate description.
Anyway, we arrived in very good time to see the nightly hunt by the "Bat Hawk". I stood for an hour before the bats finally emerged from their roost so keen was I to improve on my previous shots. It was one of the compensations if I had missed out on not going to Punda Maria.
Alas, my enthusiasm was not rewarded. From a birding perspective it was a no show.
I did see this little fellow run across the car park lot though.
Bushbuck
Causing one car to brake rapidly too!
Bushbuck
Our accommodation this time was in a different chalet. When we'd changed our booking we'd had little choice in where to go due to limited availability. Olifants was the really the only choice for a half way stop, Skukuza at the other side was reluctantly accepted although the positive was  that they had both wifi and allegedly, the best restaurant in the park.  Both accommodations we were informed had a shower/toilet but the Olifants one didn't have a kitchen, you used the communal one. 
 Olifants Rest Camp KNP
You did however have a fridge/freezer, table and chairs and a Braii. Good because I swore I wasn't eating in the restaurant there!!
Interestingly, although the view wasn't as good as our previous room we still had an impressive one.Olifants Rest Camp KNP
We had been allocated a room next to the one that you get charged another 235R per night for, purely for the view. Our original one you paid an additional 600R but it did have a decent kitchen and an outstanding view. It was only when we decided to light the braii we realised that not only no kitchen but no utensils, plates etc. They did give you two glasses though so at least the beer was not drunk out of a can. As our purchased choice for dinner that night consisted of ribs, corn and garlic bread it was a finger job anyway and I used our own bread knife and another to turn the food on the coals. Fortunately we were there for just a night!
Next day, Skukuza!
TBC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment