Wednesday 6 November 2019

South Africa Kruger NP Sept/Oct 2019 A right fright ...well quite!

For our second day at Mopani we decided to head south back to Letaba but not before I'd been to check out the path for birds. It was another dull, slightly cold and windy day. Hardly a bird in sight first thing.
Just a Black-crowned Tchagra serenading us out side our door.
Brlack-crowned Tchagra
Even the Spurfowl had disappeared! However, that might have been because there were Mongoose around too.
Dwarf mongoose
I had an early drive to check out the Pioneer Dam hide which had just one bird flying around in front of it.
Black Saw-wing
The photo isn't the best but it gives an idea of species.
Black Saw-wing
I'm thinking Black Saw-wing.
There was another,  apparently keen, birder in the hide and he didn't know what it was either. perhaps you do?
Anyway, I had an interesting chat with him during the course of which he told me his daughter is an executive with a well known travel tour company. She, he said, was totally disparaging of SANParks accommodation saying it was inferior to her standards. She, he said, would only stay in 6* places!! No doubt she gets a big discount if she pays at all I guess. Her father however was quite happy staying in the camps and said his daughter's real dislike of SANParks was probably more to the fact that they make couldn't money out of them as it's easy for people to book directly themselves!! 
Anyway, back in camp Claire was now ready for off and indeed, off we went. H1-4 tar road until we decided to take the S48 gravel road, the Tsendze loop.
Not a thing!
Back on the tar south again we looked forward to a cup of coffee at Letaba, I'd been so impressed with the one we'd had the other day. We intended risking breakfast there too but on arrival we discovered they were in the middle of a power cut. No coffee, no toasties. That was a blow!
Unimpressed by the roads just south of Letaba on our last trip, this time we decided to check out the S62 to the north but first a quick peep at the Hyena den to see if they were out to play.
Nothing!
The S62 has two side roads off it before you go right to the end and the Engelhard Lookout.
The first one took us to the Matambeni hide. The wind blowing straight at us was so cold and so strong we didn't stick it for more than a minute before retreating back to the car.
Next up was the side road to Engelhard dam.
There were some Impala there, some had Oxpeckers on them so I decided to have a play.
Impala
Up to this point I had hardly taken a single shot all day !!
Impala
The front cover of the current Kruger Magazine had a picture on similar lines although much better than mine. I was just trying to imitate it for something to do.
Red-billed Oxpecker Impala
We photographers get withdrawal symptoms if we don't get a hit on the shutter button now and again!
I settled for just a shot of the Oxpecker. 
Red-billed Oxpecker
The Kruger Magazine has a free to enter photo competition with some fabulous prizes and I thought I'd enter. Not with those though!!
Onwards we went. Next up a Lilac-breasted Roller.
Lilac-breasted Roller
More often than not they fly away when you stop to take a shot, we were already parked when this one landed. I thought it looked quite brilliant despite the poor light, even the background suited. Shame about the perched position!!
I was a bit despondent really. Another poor day on the cards. It was so windy I asked Claire was it worth going to the Lookout which no doubt would be more exposed than anywhere.
"Might as well now we are here" was her reply.
So I turned right on gravel instead of heading towards the tar again.
You immediately go down a dip and cross over the river bed on a raised but solid concrete roadway. 
It's only wide enough for one car and our progress was blocked by one that was parked there. They were busy taking photographs of a Giraffe.
We waited patiently until the Giraffe appeared to have had enough and quickly moved away.
The car in front moved on and so did we.
As we crossed a glance to my right had be totally excited.
The car in front had missed it at first but presumably seen it the minute I stopped. They stopped too.
Right next to where they had been parked.... a Lioness!
I have never been that close to a Lion before, it was a really thrilling moment.
I braked instantly, pressed the window button to wind down both front and rear windows, turned the engine off and started clicking away
Lioness
This was magical!
Lioness
Amazing.
Lioness
The big beast was up and walking
Lioness
Towards me!
Lioness
It all happened in what seemed like seconds.
Lioness
Faster than my brain responds anyway!
This huge killing machine was within just a few feet of me.
PANIC!
Was I being sized up for dinner?
Hit the window button.
NOTHING!
HELP!
Calm Dave, turn the ignition on, the window will close.
PHEW!
My heart returned to normal as the Lioness carried on walking below the car. It was only later when I looked at the photos I realised I wasn't the target at all.
Lioness
She'd seen a Zebra appear further down the river bed.
Were we going to witness an ambush?
Lioness
I managed to reverse the car back a bit.
Lioness
and wound down the nearside back window to give a photo opportunity through there should it be necessary.
BH2I5986
The Lioness went in to stalking mode.
Lioness
The Zebra seemed aware that all was not right and started to wander off further down the river bed then up the bank disappearing in to the bushes.
Lioness
The Lioness followed...................


and that was that I'm afraid.Sorry for the anti climax but you can't have everything!
We returned to camp after driving up to the Lookout which was ,as we expected, too cold to get out of the car. Besides, there was a Lioness about!!
It goes to show though, your day can turn in to something special when you least expect it to and that makes it all the more special.
That evening even the local waterhole was deserted. Seems most creatures don't like the wind too much either.
Unbelievably one had wandered in to our camp.
I'd seen Mongoose, Warthogs, Bushbucks Squirrels, Monkey and Genet in the camps on our travels but this was ridiculous!
How did this get in unnoticed through the camp gates and past the fuel station, Reception and all the other chalets before reaching us?
Surprise visitor
I mean it's not exactly tiny is it?!
Greater Kudu
When he stands up the tip of those Antlers are nearly 3m off the ground.
Good job he was totally uninterested in us, just got on with trimming the hedges around the chalet oblivious to the fact I was stood right next to it.
This wasn't the only visitor we had either.
TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment